Is It Safe to Microwave Solo Cups? Complete Guide

The answer is absolutely Not. Therefore, do not even try to do so.

Well, let me give some insight to those who do not know what solo cups are and what this question means “Can You Microwave Solo Cups?”

“Can You Microwave Solo Cups?” means that we can use solo cups inside a microwave. Secondly, solo cups are disposable cups made of plastic or paper.

Now coming back to the topic, you should know that solo cups are not microwave and heat friendly. I believe you would have probably noticed that when hot tea is poured into a solo cup, it loses its toughness and deforms in shape.

Now think about it, a microwave has a very high temperature, and a solo cup can never withstand that temperature. Plus, solo cups are not designed to withstand high heat, such as that of a microwave.

What Would Happen If You Put a Solo Cup In a Microwave?

One thing I will tell you is that something terrible will happen. First, it will most probably melt and make your microwave dirty. Secondly, If the fluid gets into the internal part of the microwave, it can also cause a short circuit or some other damage to your microwave.

Finally, the stains caused will not be easy to remove. Also, you can burn your hand while grabbing it out of the microwave.

The purpose of solo cups is to serve tea, coffee, water, or beverages. It is not made to heat or reheat stuff inside a microwave.

Some people use these solo cups inside microwaves for a few seconds to warm their tea a little, but it is not preferred. It is dangerous.

You should also know that plastic is made of chemicals like PVC and BPA, which are bad for health. So while heating a solo cup inside the microwave, they might mix with it and cause harm to your health.

How Can You Know if a Cup is Microwave Safe?

It is not that difficult to find out. First, place some water in the cup and place it inside the microwave for 50 to 60 seconds. Then check, if the temperature of the cup is higher than water inside it, then this cup is not microwave-safe.

And if the temperature of the water is higher than the cup, then the cup is microwave safe.

The logic behind this is that the cup in which water is hotter is made of metallic material, which is a great conductor of heat, so it passed the heat inside, and hence the water was warmer.

And we know that metallic cups can be used inside the microwave. And in the other situation, the cup was probably made of plastic so that it couldn’t pass the heat inside to the water, so the water was less warm than the cup.

And plastic is not preferred to use inside a microwave because it can melt or release poisonous chemicals into the material inside it, which will be bad for health.

What Happens If You Microwave a Non-Microwavable Mug?

If you use a non-microwavable mug inside a microwave, it might break or melt because it wouldn’t be able to withstand the heat inside. And the stains caused by this will be adamant about removing.

Also, if the liquid enters the inside of the microwave, it can cause a fault or short circuit. And even if it doesn’t break, it might still release some poisonous chemicals inside, which can be very bad for health.

Other than that, it can also burn your hand if you try to grab it because it cannot conduct the heat inside, so all the heat gathers at its surface, and while holding the cup, you might hurt yourself.

What Alternatives can you use to heat your drinks?

Well, there are a lot of alternatives available in the market. There are too many microwave-friendly utilities with us, like glass, ceramic mugs, and insulated coffee mugs to warm your coffee or other liquid. These materials have no harm to your health also.

Plastic Disadvantages:

Plastic is a hazardous material made of chemicals. If you heat it, it might release some chemicals that are bad for health and the environment. So the use of plastic in the microwave is strictly prohibited.


Make sure not to use solo cups inside your microwave. Try using microwave-friendly cups instead so as not to harm yourself or your appliance. And while removing something from the microwave, make sure to wear gloves so as not to be burnt.

Leave a Comment